[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tor-talk] company devised process to disable Intel Management Engine
- From: InterN0T <intern0t AT protonmail.com>
- Subject: Re: [tor-talk] company devised process to disable Intel Management Engine
- Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 10:48:58 -0500
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) email@example.com header.s=default header.b=wrGyZ6DA; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org designates 2a01:4f8:172:1b46:0:abba:10:1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org; dmarc=fail (p=QUARANTINE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=protonmail.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:list-subscribe :list-help:list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe:list-id :precedence:subject:mime-version:feedback-id:references:in-reply-to :message-id:from:to:dkim-signature:date:arc-authentication-results; bh=PxbH8HAxfY819yIlNL+oCu5f25pRX2jUGe5AHMlvaWg=; b=ANq7J3bt43gctk0zguDa2tpj+R2sIjX2Fy5I/9kgx2zmf2AOBYKDlctK2LGWVqz4pL iyPgExQaOhVmFath4g8x7XhZeWLNfelsAiP+wPCgKgRiwC/ECF6uGKKzmsB5Aeei2b5A L8UoTggUfK9Lg4sMQQ6OHgaoU/PsmvsdQX3ewACwrZG9RLVc1DhEVhsGQcod7PuLrwwh +WG3aZYeFldbaxI2Y1HEzTcU8XpSAXSgRkdPLd91RTCX0yFxYe+q0m5MXO3ZU5l1fKmH qRzRGi1h2oRYvwwH1nXClo7D91zvbwhQvWQpsrlh42FeMMgNY/qZpqVnxm3WGnpm4Kdj B12g==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1513007396; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=0g6Z3q8+pDLptu/kp3DC0N8oAPX3+zxuxMOlEBcrAz+dOHOsnLLkS2E1lbA7+qmv9q OZdk/vUFffiJ7iOw97XB7P49S+xogcLWYLtyxoDDMLD7hWgKv5fmVsmhZGiuZEiQGQr6 7G2QluyU9opJ/8ZEWpkp/JoW+6o4dQvHsL9KlLG0+GEY2gq+cCaqe50UFNmsaRBVoWQ0 KpjomEkBNOF+HbsOAvcQg54M+ORBykW/LoHCFTe9JOWT1vmXJbJ9AWeIj6sDfjtXeTLN nsppfW/aQTCMiTfIsMvZm1sdgboV6zDbtnOqfVDGGiizbtnnvkrPhAlG/QcuqXj+m4TB EEVQ==
- Feedback-id: KVmQAEBN83E5gx5VZOUZtybOpbu2B5AZmbFnJz0XgxqnAhJm4cUWlyaSLUszNpSA808cP5VLe3EurzfKEeNo9A==:Ext:ProtonMail
- List-archive: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/>
- Reply-to: tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
- Sender: "tor-talk" <tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org>
- To: "tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org" <tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org>
Interesting, do you have a proof of concept supporting that desktop PCs without remote administration such as AMT, can still be reached remotely via Intel ME?
Besides Intel ME there is also the AMD version, which people seem to forget about or even discuss.
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [tor-talk] company devised process to disable Intel Management Engine
> Local Time: December 11, 2017 8:50 AM
> UTC Time: December 11, 2017 7:50 AM
> From: ktr-theonionrouter AT dea.spamcon.org
> To: tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
> On 12/10/2017 7:01 PM, InterN0T wrote:
>> Keep in mind that just because you have a laptop that uses an Intel processor, doesn't necessarily mean that you also have Intel ME enabled by default. I don't think my laptops support this feature unless I've missed something that someone can enlighten me about.
> No, today it's in virtually all Intel processors used in desktops and
> laptops. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine .
> Most consumer PCs don't have ME firmware that supports remote management
> features such as AMT. But even consumer PCs still have running ME
> firmware which still does various stuff and has almost total access and
> control of your PC. The ME firmware has an API that can be called from
> Windows (I don't know about Linux, but I'd be really surprised) to have
> the ME do things like decryption.
> tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change other settings go to
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to