[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.3.1.3-alpha is released (with security fix for hidden services)
- From: Nick Mathewson <nickm AT torproject.org>
- Subject: [tor-talk] Tor 0.3.1.3-alpha is released (with security fix for hidden services)
- Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 13:04:33 -0400
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) firstname.lastname@example.org; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org designates 2a01:4f8:172:1b46:0:abba:10:1 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:list-subscribe :list-help:list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe:list-id :precedence:subject:to:message-id:date:from:mime-version :dkim-signature:arc-authentication-results; bh=KNo0Z4/Rre/61qN3sjnXKi/uTpIxJkxllfPmRpzQu3w=; b=X1lP51qbwrKvph3tBUamUOkdiZVT9YQk/Tmpa9mf36ljXgg8DloEOzcOiwGC9F+X/X 1dGZf1Gqd9iZSLmYbiWioifQwM8yf5oFXzoXS7J2dyYkQf608HmMAoYNIH8tlrGYNNFL PVEoxHCKgmoXf+4qIFx7g5FImH5meAgorOJZGA1jwfclqEAkMVssKMCXlyO+BiEEuvx5 mA3HvWDcxtv6Q6qxuL6s64Ha/C+8WCBqwWuSFzQuBEXMwdGSjrRKkb5YqN/7xdQJ4uHa prO62XHXSaxN2vTeqxOFELBqlEU50mQjSDEmWN4ATVB6HdEMsijihbw5Yg4/ahfJVu1C sh8g==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1496941641; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=whW602k6EuCTvb+31uX2ZsEwJagYyRCU2sk90dNQHWRGkekqhVGcYHRJuI6E0Bityo kEFNWaxvIkD+ICVzNqF+UCkPTot1HXNhNI9Y2LNzyOfdhbiwsBfs9C3IPq7quoZWCw4d yxj/3A3WGmI4h302bmz0F5Vcao9xnEMdYk3Jp70U95j2qQ44hBtJsj4mLAtEIBvFRnCr hRFmryil41mx6UZjHBSjazU2hHNV5ZI2JpliLNtGZNCErCZ2LAt7uf6/pTOsKePCtJAj Yn4QaHDSjubXa4y47NfKU18lv26FTbTetYQMP3E3Wicf0EIhNvpqd4qrLAdKbCzoJlFr bKQg==
- List-archive: <http://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/>
- Reply-to: tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
- Sender: "tor-talk" <tor-talk-bounces AT lists.torproject.org>
- To: "tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org" <tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org>
Hi! The latest alpha, 0.3.1.3-alpha, is now released. The source is
available on the website, and packages should be available before too
long. It has a security fix for hidden services, so if you are
running a hidden service, you should upgrade to this version (or to
one of the 7 other versions released today).
This is an alpha release: if you aren't up for finding and reporting
bugs, you should stick with a stable release series.
As usual, I'll be sending alpha announcements here, and stable
announcements to tor-announce.
Changes in version 0.3.1.3-alpha - 2017-06-08
Tor 0.3.1.3-alpha fixes a pair of bugs that would allow an attacker to
remotely crash a hidden service with an assertion failure. Anyone
running a hidden service should upgrade to this version, or to some
other version with fixes for TROVE-2017-004 and TROVE-2017-005.
Tor 0.3.1.3-alpha also includes fixes for several key management bugs
that sometimes made relays unreliable, as well as several other
bugfixes described below.
o Major bugfixes (hidden service, relay, security):
- Fix a remotely triggerable assertion failure when a hidden service
handles a malformed BEGIN cell. Fixes bug 22493, tracked as
TROVE-2017-004 and as CVE-2017-0375; bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
- Fix a remotely triggerable assertion failure caused by receiving a
BEGIN_DIR cell on a hidden service rendezvous circuit. Fixes bug
22494, tracked as TROVE-2017-005 and CVE-2017-0376; bugfix
o Major bugfixes (relay, link handshake):
- When performing the v3 link handshake on a TLS connection, report
that we have the x509 certificate that we actually used on that
connection, even if we have changed certificates since that
connection was first opened. Previously, we would claim to have
used our most recent x509 link certificate, which would sometimes
make the link handshake fail. Fixes one case of bug 22460; bugfix
o Major bugfixes (relays, key management):
- Regenerate link and authentication certificates whenever the key
that signs them changes; also, regenerate link certificates
whenever the signed key changes. Previously, these processes were
only weakly coupled, and we relays could (for minutes to hours)
wind up with an inconsistent set of keys and certificates, which
other relays would not accept. Fixes two cases of bug 22460;
bugfix on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
- When sending an Ed25519 signing->link certificate in a CERTS cell,
send the certificate that matches the x509 certificate that we
used on the TLS connection. Previously, there was a race condition
if the TLS context rotated after we began the TLS handshake but
before we sent the CERTS cell. Fixes a case of bug 22460; bugfix
o Major bugfixes (torrc, crash):
- Fix a crash bug when using %include in torrc. Fixes bug 22417;
bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha. Patch by Daniel Pinto.
o Minor features (code style):
- Add "Falls through" comments to our codebase, in order to silence
GCC 7's -Wimplicit-fallthrough warnings. Patch from Andreas
Stieger. Closes ticket 22446.
o Minor features (diagnostic):
- Add logging messages to try to diagnose a rare bug that seems to
generate RSA->Ed25519 cross-certificates dated in the 1970s. We
think this is happening because of incorrect system clocks, but
we'd like to know for certain. Diagnostic for bug 22466.
o Minor bugfixes (correctness):
- Avoid undefined behavior when parsing IPv6 entries from the geoip6
file. Fixes bug 22490; bugfix on 0.2.4.6-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (directory protocol):
- Check for libzstd >= 1.1, because older versions lack the
necessary streaming API. Fixes bug 22413; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (link handshake):
- Lower the lifetime of the RSA->Ed25519 cross-certificate to six
months, and regenerate it when it is within one month of expiring.
Previously, we had generated this certificate at startup with a
ten-year lifetime, but that could lead to weird behavior when Tor
was started with a grossly inaccurate clock. Mitigates bug 22466;
mitigation on 0.3.0.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (storage directories):
- Always check for underflows in the cached storage directory usage.
If the usage does underflow, re-calculate it. Also, avoid a
separate underflow when the usage is not known. Fixes bug 22424;
bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (unit tests):
- The unit tests now pass on systems where localhost is misconfigured
to some IPv4 address other than 127.0.0.1. Fixes bug 6298; bugfix
- Clarify the manpage for the (deprecated) torify script. Closes
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk AT lists.torproject.org
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to