[public-dns-discuss] SERVFAIL when looking up matrix.org on 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Hi all,

We're currently experiencing significant disruption for people trying to resolve matrix.org and riot.im via google public DNS on both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 from ISPs in London:

$ nslookup -debug www.matrix.org. 8.8.8.8

Server: 8.8.8.8

Address: 8.8.8.8#53

------------

    QUESTIONS:

www.matrix.org, type = A, class = IN

    ANSWERS:

    AUTHORITY RECORDS:

    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:

------------

** server can't find www.matrix.org: SERVFAIL

Expected result:

$ nslookup -debug www.matrix.org. 1.1.1.1

Server: 1.1.1.1

Address: 1.1.1.1#53

------------

    QUESTIONS:

www.matrix.org, type = A, class = IN

    ANSWERS:

    ->  www.matrix.org

internet address = 104.24.207.27

ttl = 300

    ->  www.matrix.org

internet address = 104.24.206.27

ttl = 300

    AUTHORITY RECORDS:

    ADDITIONAL RECORDS:

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: www.matrix.org

Address: 104.24.207.27

Name: www.matrix.org

Address: 104.24.206.27

This looks to be a problem in google public DNS (i hope) - is there anything we can do about it?

thanks,

Matthew