[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Paging Jim Bell
- From: juan <juan.g71 AT gmail.com>
- Subject: Re: Paging Jim Bell
- Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 14:31:24 -0300
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org header.s=20161025 header.b=YPJm1ciN; spf=pass (google.com: domain of cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org designates 18.104.22.168 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org; dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive :list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:content-transfer-encoding :mime-version:references:in-reply-to:subject:to:from:date:message-id :dkim-signature:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=w/4A55v5/qkCruGS5iTqu+dyIJjq0VdCHZVFOrgi/+o=; b=vvmv3kICd4OC/DsbjMBFVQdPSpDeEgoZ2SWk/HgKtJR7wNl8znAQiz+KrQb9p5pDdx n7mE6evJQLe+/wICZ1VnpduqnGVeWl+uQx73iHqIogu7Luq/9SdCRRdbVq5yazeyn8Tj wUIwhUCD9Ui0B816MnMpwGhQ3CQybIsEotA55Hb11sduR0FM8FS8Iyc2KjLJUJ7b8U+b hp3dGd2jW/8lM9xYtZGvKHK3JWQNTIVIY7Q4OBXgVKmKNWNY41bLdPqYOYl+j0E5Izox 93Ec6EP9I2Q7Umb8zAbagzGy2BAY6J9xhNOTzANw0Xjo6ZqynEkjz7WFGysDeloB70kO ezZA==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1532539619; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=o2Kyji1LvYR+luZgemfbkysNRkEjqPh5b0kwZ7RYb5dX2fWi9YYK0tFB+kknltAwD5 LWlpy1Rp7M6dCpT6fwquaTYtX3thka5oGmy1UTnhZe3fFXvqNMfodQFNr7uFyvlMnb5x JvzvnRhqMzePEhN2sKtrR0DEkyjT1+38cRYgj7OfgNEi8cwaAIMWeHGqwlku3uRph8JY xwIyudW+cIqa2yEmt0aY5ZU4pENbTK1RbkYvq9dR4cAyDIZ5mdnWS/pZf8VD+iaTQ9EQ t8RkILRflJ8I8zttMjk9wA0lTQJJbfjiBb4CsxgTTPBK/qWCpzGqHUgWeTjenUnZhCnN hGuw==
- List-archive: <http://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/>
- Sender: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org>
- To: cp <cypherpunks AT cpunks.org>
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:44:59 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> The main advantage added by Ethereum/Augur, I assume, is that it acts as a distributed computer system that, being "everywhere", ends up being "nowhere": It cannot be shut down by government authority.
yeah, that part of the AP system seems to be in place. Although from a quick look at a couple of articles, seems to me that augur can be (easily?) censored
"Augur currently has four options to resolve a bet: 1. yes 2. no 3. indeterminate 4. unethical"
“The Augur Reporter community has a powerful tool in their ability to mark a market as ‘invalid,'”
(so there's a 'community' of scumbags who go around censoring stuff. Not sure if augur is a serious system like the permisionless, censorship-resistant bitcoin network, or some sort of toy owned by a bunch of oportunists - seems more like the later)
> The other thing necessary to turn such a prediction market into a classic AP system https://cryptome.org/ap.htm is good, i.e. perfect, anonymity of bets and payouts: So nobody else, other than than the bettor himself, knows who he is, and he knows he can collect the payout anonymously without risk. I don't know if this Ethereum/Augur system has such anonymity, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough. It wouldn't be particularly useful if it didn't.×
well augur runs on top of ethereum(probably untrustworthy) which in turn uses the 'internet'(biggest spy system on the planet), and then we the people live in a global surveillance state, and surveillance is especially bad in the so called 'developed' world.
so the anonimity required mighy be lacking somewhat...