Re: Forced Decrypt: US Judge Jails Defendant Six Months for Contempt re Phone Unlock

On 07/17/2018 03:37 PM, grarpamp wrote:

<SNIP>

> ... The result: Montanez is being held in contempt of
> court and is serving a six-month jail sentence.
>
> "I don't know the code, sir," he stated.
> So the judge found him in civil contempt and threw him in jail.

And AFAIK that ex-cop in Philadelphia is still in jail for "forgetting"
his macOS password. I gather that there's no limit to sentences for
contempt of court. Basically, each time you don't comply, it's a new
contempt violation.

<SNIP>