[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Govt economic advisor warns British defence planners that growth is ending... and it's not just the U.K.
- From: Steven Schear <schear.steve AT gmail.com>
- Subject: Re: Govt economic advisor warns British defence planners that growth is ending... and it's not just the U.K.
- Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 08:24:41 -0700
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=fail firstname.lastname@example.org header.s=20161025 header.b=VuYwZZ43; spf=pass (google.com: domain of cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org designates 18.104.22.168 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive :list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:cc:to:subject:message-id:date :from:in-reply-to:references:mime-version:dkim-signature :delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=oTkuTvgvkrVXhv/BrkVFxwW2OIRD6gtjvRieyLj1TIA=; b=mgEF7AZgmOkfnionG63cHJW3/4yfbSebpaqL+H6ANbbnoLe9gY7iYCez9aCgOBpb3A /GmEA6O81wHz4W3kj+pZ93S2r22ZddUHuSVHf6u5QPuMrH9CpHcAVBsrVXnqqwqtTLMX yJD6nYNy7VCI2M0XAJ+8QffsJKb9W3K/UuTwZML7+kxiCXoaZsW8Mirn7lTveayfE7m2 pY7kr3tvafnqghMzT2qn+3f3xfBJu0BGnqiS2jQ4b71rZpULo+/AkCoUcEj1SzCCQjVv cL+1lf4QKqM7gmfG7zWiuIHqpPypQMQK2CRMebZb7lSj2TJy2S/oSpRPYngACakBwjPb nRTA==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1531495592; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Fo5YA9K7GDtXGyaGkxanjo6nz9KIDDsFeaTC9V3njGlM2KlO0JJuaZRBs9INoJbgkU KLYz267Hg7e/oIlN//QYTruaNtboiRzHTpzGTaa1Hl4NcFgtAS1kNtSP6X/E4/X3iwCc Kkl3gCRKAq4n/VySECiiVNcCupplENVvQazk+uf7m83/usfM43NINpXh+ak+vGx7jjuf Pyp7ISqnoBsaxfXOJJTp6MTvil8BEokgHCuzhgHu+eqAAa1Y56nKVEyBXBsCkO4fugkK l240hAMgc3v38svtUsyaLgwDwCUaee7iml+gwSmdXhgr8QYc6mOzXr6mKrPfLvW2MKQL 15OQ==
- Cc: cypherpunks <cypherpunks AT lists.cpunks.org>
- List-archive: <http://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/>
- Sender: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org>
- To: John <jnn AT synfin.org>
A possible alternative is to transition to biofuels, which harvest all their carbon from the atmosphere, and can be net carbon neutral.
On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 05:20:30PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
> This article sure sounds foolish. As I see it, the main driver in the increase in "growth" (other than population) is productivity. Productivity tends to be driven by gradual adoptions of automation, which has been a major factor for 50+ years, and actually far larger. Automation isn't going away, and will only increase in effectiveness for decades
> Energy is a factor, but society is well on its way to the widespread adoption of solar and wind energy. Solar is useful in most locations, and wind will eventually be useable just about everywhere, 24 hours per day, with the use of low-resistance materials to conduct that energy, for example metallic carbon nanotubes. (MCNTs).
> Jim Bell
Personally I wish the "progressive left" could get over its deep fear of
nuclear energy, and we could build some modern reactors. Maybe when (if)
they ever get a fusion reactor that can substain a reaction...
Of course, solar and wind power is great :) Anything to stop burning
more fucking carbon..
> On Friday, July 6, 2018, 9:15:13 AM PDT, Steven Schear <schear.steve AT gmail.com> wrote:
> "If we extrapolate this trend forward, labour productivity growth would reach zero by 2028."
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4 C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7