[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Govt economic advisor warns British defence planners that growth is ending... and it's not just the U.K.
- From: John Newman <jnn AT synfin.org>
- Subject: Re: Govt economic advisor warns British defence planners that growth is ending... and it's not just the U.K.
- Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:10:11 -0400
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=fail (test mode) email@example.com header.s=SYNFIN header.b=M1aeDkZO; spf=pass (google.com: domain of cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org designates 220.127.116.11 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive :list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:cc:user-agent:in-reply-to :content-disposition:mime-version:references:message-id:subject:to :from:date:dkim-signature:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=xpXDp1DEZo2+uLTEdK1p2pKXmHirjeQy+b/VGsrCtlM=; b=zgiKblYUr83NeEpiBRjp516cs25GGxnks09PtyT2hjEEMOfsYZJ7K3v9Dp4mmsfyBQ 3ybYXqNkxqU351KT0uY0lQjB2salzgKiA4LAS7bmR0CVU06LLS2rdxt6T+TXyrCLst7T r4GyKXkDYpHvqHfOvjxJcVFKsdanTVwtqXYz9OVMlO/tmGDFOyABGNvJvJDlZVBbVfwu ZmxTi25P29nGbSosndw9lcok+Qnizx31R1GY9rP2AZ+ZZw6jK+nKk+0xiAHyLqGkcrkL e78almE82kg58wN0H27J1M+/Y5vhxw2Uvt5OelCYOcpUcLCxXQOqvzSpDzZFpyh171Kd DJVg==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1531494650; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=zI4HeyozyHcGCBfqhHdHkoha6DakJuptvqgc+grTklp7xAnNQ0ievWEOF2wp+sTcTR N+0NdyCpFkcUM3VMWtW7H+V2R2XITEwqv0w22INm6yEOifqqu6o+9YpqAsi05qy4y8a0 NKF+6R6sj9UQDhRzE0tMp/QKL0jxR/jOdXM2qufNC6rZFZT7pTmNbDeow0too6OtTVbc VLcwbJN0V9yDMaip2meSB0OLzBHKJnn59pLVcv5szp1Z7Hx8f2v8AeoqfRDhXipCpHnz bSff+548C6OP2efbgzeNb9H0JFxPjgB+HhlFXrAwJyxC/nWb2sppiu9SSS5c7N0XfvFM 9H8g==
- Cc: cypherpunks <cypherpunks AT lists.cpunks.org>
- List-archive: <http://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/>
- Sender: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org>
- To: jim bell <jdb10987 AT yahoo.com>
On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 05:20:30PM +0000, jim bell wrote:
> This article sure sounds foolish. As I see it, the main driver in the increase in "growth" (other than population) is productivity. Productivity tends to be driven by gradual adoptions of automation, which has been a major factor for 50+ years, and actually far larger. Automation isn't going away, and will only increase in effectiveness for decades
> Energy is a factor, but society is well on its way to the widespread adoption of solar and wind energy. Solar is useful in most locations, and wind will eventually be useable just about everywhere, 24 hours per day, with the use of low-resistance materials to conduct that energy, for example metallic carbon nanotubes. (MCNTs).
> Jim Bell
Personally I wish the "progressive left" could get over its deep fear of
nuclear energy, and we could build some modern reactors. Maybe when (if)
they ever get a fusion reactor that can substain a reaction...
Of course, solar and wind power is great :) Anything to stop burning
more fucking carbon..
> On Friday, July 6, 2018, 9:15:13 AM PDT, Steven Schear <schear.steve AT gmail.com> wrote:
> "If we extrapolate this trend forward, labour productivity growth would reach zero by 2028."
GPG fingerprint: 17FD 615A D20D AFE8 B3E4 C9D2 E324 20BE D47A 78C7
Description: PGP signature