[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Cryptocurrency: Rise of Bitcoin Cash BCH
- From: juan <juan.g71 AT gmail.com>
- Subject: Re: Cryptocurrency: Rise of Bitcoin Cash BCH
- Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 21:22:29 -0300
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass email@example.com header.s=20161025 header.b=r1IZ4Y11; spf=pass (google.com: domain of cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org designates 126.96.36.199 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org; dmarc=pass (p=NONE sp=QUARANTINE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive :list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:content-transfer-encoding :mime-version:references:in-reply-to:subject:to:from:date:message-id :dkim-signature:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=yAcNJ1HnVPnIcjq6rT7BySBpBz1NmLg9V2gz1LI4w+I=; b=TVQq3CLCR6zk+WoUtPTY3Yla3JkhYDZppR6pfKdUbJMlmYbk7tct0wMJxVo4tQ6GtG ImofEbH5oUAZuJBpa+vH9KR50gUFCukoBTSrLWsvmiiqTBVbcHTy0L7EXcvuXgU5oDCn /l4cvUscJZ+K7dFvWQl4Uw5a3a/FE58DvhcVuSb92s0IUMDVJlKHbFkptja5Kpht2FGI zA9It52GMmkt3lHrDNWCy0NfKcoyvqWybDPeoXX0XJg0EHyc2bIM0XJ8rUSkg+DRdcqy MTqIt0cyUJ5G7oqCVQWBpgNE7VeJBwZWKx4sbva6CLzACMBClaLG+90hQrzkAWNoM68I xBoA==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1530577175; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Mo3jnbbJDcvNLUD3SHfebqmzbT3/KoIIIB9g2YKCEQBL07ZrRUc966qoUDdjOR/Rhd g93DPsM7A/4FQOYl6yEb+Ex78UjDlR4pRgGQZVRxDUjsCJiZci9/hnJpXtmnY8qRjktS 4rQFnKJZ4TvDO8t+KRMmyc1V3YtnJHIkoNl7Yd5t7B4obof4K/TeBf7j+bb8eEkecoVh 8qCAUKFjaYMnGOKvMU71HNNUUe/rBGFd67d/IR9vSFHcwoTyRr7KqU4oJWGkcYyPXTk9 VuAEBYEqIAwz/MKMCjgRdfa7fSF+SlPCNMvpY0jElko766x3SQfwqRsuj7Jys1nZalFs 3Dcw==
- List-archive: <http://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/>
- Sender: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org>
- To: cp <cypherpunks AT cpunks.org>
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 22:37:15 +0000 (UTC)
jim bell <jdb10987 AT yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 1, 2018, 11:09:34 PM PDT, juan <juan.g71 AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 00:22:03 -0400
> grarpamp <grarpamp AT gmail.com> wrote:
> " as you know grarpamp (or maybe you dont know?) the size of bitcoins ledger is ~200 gbytes at the moment. "
> On Amazon, I see a 200 GB micro SD card being sold for $71. A 256 GB micro SD card is sold for $120. Rather spendy, but within the realm of possibility.
And? You can buy a 2 terabytes HD for $50 or so(or less?). I suggest you do that if you want to store the blockchain, SD cards aren't reliable - HDs are cheaper and better. But guess what? Storage isn't the problem anyway.
The problem is that peers have to transmit and process the whole ledger.
And the answer "so called moore's law will magically solve everything" isn't too convincing.
> About "a Gigabyte:: In my college days, 1978, we had a comedic, fictional dormitory organization called "TWePOE" ("Third West Power Elite"). I, the only one with a functional personal computer on my hallway (my own homebrew "Bellyache I", a comedic take on the famous "ILLIAC 4), my room became the "GBDSC", short for "Gigabyte Data Storage Center", a subsidiary of the organization "MOIA", short for "Ministry of Information Abuse", whose ominous motto was, "We've got a file on YOU!"
> I chose "Gigabyte" because, at that time, it was such an inconceivably fantasticly large amount of data storage so as to be awe-inspiring. (An 8 inch SSSD floppy disk stored a grand 240 kilobytes of data, so it would have taken more than 4100 of them to house a full gigabyte.)
> Today, the idea that I could buy 1 million times the storage of one of those 240 kilobyte floppies, held in a wafer smaller than my pinky-fingernail, remains amazing to me.
> Jim Bell