[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: AFRICAN HISTORY MONTH
- From: John Newman <jnn AT synfin.org>
- Subject: Re: AFRICAN HISTORY MONTH
- Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 22:21:52 -0500
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=pass (test mode) firstname.lastname@example.org header.s=SYNFIN header.b=kmcCaRZT; spf=pass (google.com: domain of cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org designates 22.214.171.124 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive :list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:cc:to:references:message-id :content-transfer-encoding:date:in-reply-to:from:subject :mime-version:dkim-signature:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=HOw4bYcxz6JztX9jy8wY4IgXX3S+vWV5re8mdZSX0EY=; b=iFKWKOA7epLjb5Vj9XnPpLfB26Llj563EzhymJ4Up4enXhdjY8Czaa+QlmJM2LKfmX pKPy9pEmGx8CAZllD3S+2P9LRyTPOqNleRHvrJuKXEqB9Ics+HrMuRpB4WURzoQ7ZybH DF4vU+CYjDvQocckoWKCLFaP/pQnoBdjjL708X4OoAUqydWrdsq62dK7Rd0byqOedNl1 FeuL644IfD5+y5UDcevBRloE7eijvdBoVCc6Q34E8eL9GkL/4C/BiAeMvua1K4jhucHC DnuUl1VHYKqqsiEtnJIuRsLS4lAaZBSTnDbOZ/lY8ihhqz2i1noxnNvXY53rHDy1e3P9 wBFw==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1518319333; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=REfOEIvDYJpbnSjCDcaye9DCGEjQ+4S+FtKLtr0fUjHuYpJ5Iy1bXBrTGgF9Hj9G4G WYJvEts6EwGCvb1Qxiox4sFQK9OxG9zhgrFMmCo0j1pTQyzOAFe95TlfT+7R8hEswfli 7C5xxHC7gTHW/hV7t9oVSPuZPyGjmxo/5zatsSJNwpuQ7GhDyabQtYiDQMYeVh3Dxiy/ Kj8oJW+buVeAOqFLaxUTxHrVChwLBsvIaDM6jUL04lPeCtlTcCLmxDDyxI/AbZnfQmXF YotTIhkvnAefXMjDV3AoeMiPjNGhAZ2L/ut9V8595hq+tj6q9XtRgOuktluyVUGbDBqn WELA==
- Cc: cypherpunks AT lists.cpunks.org
- List-archive: <http://lists.cpunks.org/pipermail/cypherpunks/>
- Sender: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks-bounces AT lists.cpunks.org>
- To: jamesd AT echeque.com
On Feb 10, 2018, at 4:40 PM, jamesd AT echeque.com wrote:
>> > Most slaves were enslaved in black Africa by black African authorities for minor crimes.
>> On 10/02/2018 22:59, John Newman wrote:
>> Bullshit. There were massive profits and raiding parties
> There were raiding parties, but where we have data, which we generally don't, most slaves were purchased from the local authorities, not captured in raids. So who were the local authorities selling?
Are you being purposely disingenuous? There were obviously also raiding parties and
the sale of “prisoners of war” between and within different black Africans themselves,
divisions exploited by European slavers anxious to fill the gaping maw hungry for free
labor to subsidize the colonization and exploitation of the “new world”.
They had to keep that slave market (the “Meal Market”) on Wall Street going some
> Until recently, very few societies used imprisonment (and I would argue imprisonment is a very bad idea and we should not use it either.) If someone caused problems, you beat him or killed him. Suppose you beat him, and later he causes problems some more. What are you going to do? You can kill him, or you can sell him into slavery.
> Early colonialists and explorers report executions, lots of executions, lots and lots of executions, rather than enslavement.By and large, there seem to have been more executions than selling people into slavery. Black societies had more people that they did not want around, than they had purchasers for slaves.