Re: [Cryptography] "push within the entire IT industry to, make everything "Web-centric"

According to Robert Wilson via cryptography <wilson AT math.wisc.edu>:
>> Well it has to connect to the Internet somehow.  I doubt, even for $900, that they are including a cell connection; so presumably it has to connect to your WiFi.  If
>you haven't connected it you're probably safe - though there have been too-smart devices that look for any open WiFi nearby and hop on
>But isn't that the problem, right there? Why does my garage door opener
>have to connect to the Internet at all?

The obvious reason is so you can use your phone rather than a dedicated remote in each car to control it.

I agree that it is debatable whether that is an actual improvement but it's at least a
plausible tradeoff.

John Levine, johnl AT taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",