Re: [Cryptography] "push within the entire IT industry to, make everything "Web-centric"

Well it has to connect to the Internet somehow.  I doubt, even for $900, that they are including a cell connection; so presumably it has to connect to your WiFi.  If you haven't connected it you're probably safe - though there have been too-smart devices that look for any open WiFi nearby and hop on
But isn't that the problem, right there? Why does my garage door opener have to connect to the Internet at all? I don't see any functional gain that I would use or enjoy, and I do see risks that it almost inevitably entails. ("Almost" pretty much means "for sure" at this point in the development of the Internet/web.)

For there to be a marketing advantage to a garage door opener connecting to the internet somehow, it seems to me that the choice between one that does and one that does not has to be visible to the prospective purchaser. Adding it as just something this manufacturer's opener has doesn't pull me toward buying that model/brand without that. I was never offered such a choice, and was not even told in advance that my new opener would have that feature so that I could say "wait, what does that add to the cost".

Bob W.