Re: [Cryptography] Quantum computers and the Government

+1 John

Back in the day, I was doing my doctorate in computer science in a Nuclear Physics lab. As a result, I know a physics experiment when I see one.

Why has VLSI scaled so far? Because halving the minimum feature size doubles the cost of the fab but increases performance by a factor of 8 (unless heat is an issue and you have to lower the supply voltages and make do with 4).

Are any of the existing Quantum Computing schemes scalable? Only trapped ion which doesn't actually work yet. The Josephson Junction computers are cool but not quite cool enough to produce a result. Doubling the capabilities of those machines requires much more than double the cost.

Sure, IBM/Google can put 50 Qbits on a chip, but they can't do a real computation with them before everything collapses.

I think it is highly unlikely that this is a problem that can be solved simply by throwing money at it. It is therefore highly unlikely that the NSA are significantly ahead of industry and even less likely that any dictatorial regime is able to do it.

It is very important to consider the possibility of a QC breakthrough and I have considered that in part for the Mesh but I am in no hurry to write code for that.