Re: [Cryptography] Swiss helped with CIA spying

On 2020-11-13 6:38 p.m., Arnold Reinhold via cryptography wrote:

"Crypto AG has been accused of rigging their machines in collusion with intelligence agencies [...]

This is indeed old news.

In my recollection, this crypto gear was used during the Falklands/Malvinas war between UK and Argentina, giving intelligence advantage to the brits. More or less, the technology was proprietary symmetric key cipher packaged in an encryption modem.

More relevant to the topic of this group was this interview with an algorithm/software designer (after Crypto AG closure) explaining that a manager came in to stop his design work and ordered to implement exactly what an external "consultant" specified.

Actually eared during this era: "We will provide you the S-boxes." and (tacitly) replied "Don't call us, we'll call you."

Other times, other challenges, despite commonality of core principles.

- Thierry