Re: [Cryptography] Possible reason why password usage rules are such a mess

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020, iang wrote:

Bear in mind that military crypto has a much longer history, numbering in centuries. Whereas civilian crypto up-ticked in the 80s (Unix delivered DES as an early mistake) and only became really important in the 90s. All the expertise was initially military - even the guys who were involved in Unix security eg Morris were connected to military and IC.

I'd like to know more about this Unix DES mistake; I thought it was merely a one-rotor box (with added salt).

-- Dave