[Cryptography] Satoshi Nakamoto Email Timestamps Disambiguation Request

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out the correct timing/chronology of Satoshi’s emails.

I have been trying to figure out for a while now, the discrepancy about the date/time when Satoshi announced his wp on the Crypto Mailing List:

  1. The assumed date is Oct 31, 2008 (https://metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2008-October/014810.html…)
  2. However, another archive gives Nov 1 (https://mail-archive.com/cryptography AT metzdowd.com/msg09959.html…)

Talking into account different time zones, you get:

  1.  Oct 31 14:10:00 ET
  2. Nov 1, 2008 18:16:33 ET

The second archive seems to be more trustworthy as Wayback Machine took the first snapshot in Dec 2008 https://web.archive.org/web/20081224103053/https://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography AT metzdowd.com/msg09959.html

And it’s not just his email announcing Bitcoin, you have a discrepancy with all of his emails and the problem is that this discrepancy is not even consistent.  Could anyone who still has Satoshi’s emails tell me what is the correct timing?  Is any particular source accurate or none of them are accurate?  I assume the difference may come from the way the emails get imported into these archives, but I’m not sure.

| Michael Kapilkov | +1 (646) 404-0431| mkapilkov AT pace.edu | LinkedIn |