[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Cryptography] Goro Shimura, 89, Mathematician RIP
- From: John Young <jya AT pipeline.com>
- Subject: [Cryptography] Goro Shimura, 89, Mathematician RIP
- Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 11:37:24 -0400
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=pipeline.com; b=KQq//uQsvcs9ISE9QynhhDxIdHMOdaNQ1WTSwgeMH0jtdqjHFnRHcuJgslLQSrU+4nNIR63qzx2hpXjNQmPD3fX0RIuw6hpMEeEPnrExaFT2BWzQxrKOciCygqAG1ee9M+qAaW+yfJCr9jX7rVP0FM5nu4vc/o10Jzm9rqwaAIxG/2HpscoW+mVmCzgP3no4mKKxXc6XX18sRNPkSqIKQ/Dk+7c8kFxCLCdjGJUhpdEEoHwzTL4LRthnG2inMSCPa/GZm0mkiXObRCv0xK/lRtOFFSSeh/EEpBSAXCiSVLQPUTl2mMT4ee4/3LY5uD36EnWcVTOo7Reon/AP03CVsQ==; h=Received:X-Mailer:Date:To:From:Subject:Mime-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;
- List-archive: <http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/>
- Sender: "cryptography" <cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com>
- To: cryptography AT metzdowd.com,cypherpunks AT lists.cpunks.org
Goro Shimura, 89, Mathematician With Broad Impact, Is Dead
"His insights led to tools widely used in modern cryptography."
"A proof of a form of the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture would also
prove Fermat's Last Theorem. In the 1990s, Andrew Wiles, then also at
Princeton, figured out how to do just that, and Fermat's Last Theorem
had finally been proved true.
Dr. Wiles, now at the University of Oxford in England, wrote in an
email that the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture was "a fundamental pivot
in the proof of Fermat's Last Theorem." The proof also employed other
key results of Dr. Shimura's research, he said."
The cryptography mailing list
cryptography AT metzdowd.com