[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Cryptography] Avoiding PGP
- From: Ralf Senderek <crypto AT senderek.ie>
- Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Avoiding PGP
- Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 07:25:35 +0100 (CET)
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com designates 126.96.36.199 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:cc:reply-to :list-subscribe:list-help:list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe :list-id:precedence:subject:mime-version:user-agent:references :message-id:in-reply-to:to:from:date:delivered-to :arc-authentication-results; bh=/t49a4eEkYi1WMnB3IEoV2I1YjX391Q/bYU5BMqo0TA=; b=m0AXp87ByRdzFL7q35dZsvNL2GmBpPAEncJUGEbO6KFDaoPuI/dwoIO+7VD8rJhXdx Ce9LKSDDW5V260KGPHqKfSmSz6eblA5V/b19wprph96aFZjPjXHWEQPDApdkgES2pCAm t8exoTfODr68KjkWx+CtOSjuoY5Bi8R5wMmHaZ9UnPoEDj/17Z6xAD/BH0Am+KmjygiA 5UYJXbgmoCSr5Zda5lLz16NGGnWDYUpZ1gGWA9uOBNc4Qa1wjTa9geVHbv/A2b63590r XW2lshc+iOhHDGTY5923p6w7S4uVcke0XRSVUZgNld+wuGpaQ6u/UBry4/YIg6ZpiQIN I2Xw==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1521835087; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=Of5h/dA/9B76EXPhgwvHk7NFPIVNNc/3rJHSA/IPPDguZkE+WtlaK+jj7qeGip2j8v o0YryBc2M72DCpzSIpFSpa8i9iCz7D3EtBkyMe9mTrz/NRvsdrLD1pXFw7Wj5OKUWPwV iB2jZrJ1r0hgVrBFWH9E+l11R2sewwtjtcehfv/+JsnQQmqxdS/OD9ZIFJfzXVuhp/Nw blxq+5ECYmS26YHFDSpdXef6oi25SgOqCFcNlhEAOK+GY7rIJzSREhSzEwzRsbBEfyof CPSpxBABJIaVgN7alCQ1kKG3446/ifV8sr23jdmxqjjHcbRgw43KWao0z86VDTXi43vN 1D6w==
- Cc: crypto AT senderek.ie, cryptography AT metzdowd.com
- List-archive: <http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/>
- Reply-to: Ralf Senderek <crypto AT senderek.ie>
- Sender: "cryptography" <cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com>
- To: Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst AT xs4all.nl>
On Thu, 22 Mar 2018, Walter van Holst wrote:
On 2018-03-21 22:14, Ray Dillinger wrote:
I'd be perfectly happy if there were never any confusion of encrypted
mail with unencrypted mail - in fact I'd prefer to be using entirely
different applications for private and non-private communications, and
rest assured that the mail program not designed for security or privacy
simply had no access whatsoever to addresses or contacts or header
information pertaining to messages other than the plain-vanilla SMTP
stuff it knows how to handle.
No sane person would use that application. If anything people want more
integration between their modes of communication, not less. You can scream
that is a wish that is bad for security till you see blue in the face.
There is such a thing as choosing insecurity while there is no such thing
as choosing security. It's a bit like eating healthy. Everyone wants their
food being safe but even the most aware person can only try to avoid food
that'll harm with no guarantee of success. People who want more integration
between their nodes of communication have already made their choice.
The separation of private and non-private communication is a necessary
step but no guarantee of security. People who don't want that separation
won't even be in the draw for private communication no matter how blue
in the face they become by demanding other people to provide security
Usability first. Without usability there is no security.
That's true and it took us a long time to learn this, but there are
solutions available that can be used without burdening the user too much.
The crucial point (apart from the initial choice) is whether these
solutions rely on a third party service or not.
The cryptography mailing list
cryptography AT metzdowd.com