[Cryptography] Avoiding PGP

I have been reading advice on not to use PGP, some very well founded (the third one below by Filippo Valsorda deserves attention), I am including the top 3 results from google on the query: "PGP not worh it":

http://secushare.org/PGP
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/vvbw9a/even-the-inventor-of-pgp-doesnt-use-pgp
https://blog.filippo.io/giving-up-on-long-term-pgp/

My question is: Is there any substitute or equivalent? And I am aware that many people advice to use Signal, however I am wondering about an e-mail specific alternative.

Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.