[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Cryptography] How fast can a blockchain go ? like Zilliqa?
- From: "John Levine" <johnl AT iecc.com>
- Subject: Re: [Cryptography] How fast can a blockchain go ? like Zilliqa?
- Date: 7 Mar 2018 13:24:22 -0500
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) email@example.com header.s=15d15.5aa02e57.k1803 header.b=AvkodFHI; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com designates 220.127.116.11 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=iecc.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:cc:list-subscribe :list-help:list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe:list-id :precedence:subject:mime-version:organization:in-reply-to:to:from :message-id:date:dkim-signature:delivered-to :arc-authentication-results; bh=5ck9swAS2w7taMZW7y1UgQLAw/EnFWXJjN2fCpxqd8g=; b=U+C2GKsN4IIwfGdSR7v5rZf0P+q3hQJuneeaDU8apEXPSp3CWXsLSsdVhPpkmqO1yP gamZ8ylRFTPfU0BYUciIq3feyGFqwJDz1ZIuE5K+UwQeYGqzkF5H+4wuLxKIjWJVPO40 OVHwbVBmCyhHA/ZXKfahGn4OJaKnscV4Eazy0A9rGM3cZ0+uP2T60BQBM+7UGK77IiPw v7/c4x1DsVbcbCpuev2Sm9Upwz9uY4XRMGd+RgRdG2Z+rDWTWwzgvaVPvI4Ht9Z7vYfw 6y/LqaiqV+zB4oY30Z1j5Sax8lU7PoVhFt+//+dinckYdDYUu6L06+Hmr+pUHpYK09o+ Ll0Q==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1520543278; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=dGqYjrlq6f+SGVdxt/26GRYBnPBESMX4r5qTwrqdHa+im/knOeBjUlCl1P2vIU4XAE gvceoHQIm+phY7z6te7Fyp9frbqN1Jn/Y3xsWGLqYHLNvD37+WEFPej0MaeTsQy96Ha7 QkOTFw2KTcT15ohdTsjXo+vX1GTe42+hNsOCS0A6WHbE8T4yMn/+aJrJD3mp659/p5zB 02HrvvVk1vuoNO7e2v5qLYbBIMjtRyeGwD+ez3ivJVz6y2leI07fDN8sKcXzhMrNpbvu o0WMnE15P6bdSwafcsQq3GFFfckWndHvKdcVPIRQWiG6931mP4c3NDfylru/9ZvGK/O1 eeVQ==
- Cc: phill AT hallambaker.com
- List-archive: <http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/>
- Organization: Taughannock Networks
- Sender: "cryptography" <cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com>
- To: cryptography AT metzdowd.com
In article <CAMm+LwgxJCXRoauPqbV4M3RDqfsb_EqRGas+uLQbKx2PbDUF8g AT mail.gmail.com> you write:
>On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM, John Levine <johnl AT iecc.com> wrote:
>> Sort of apropos of recent discussions, what sort of performance are
>> people getting out of blockchains, both transaction rates and latency?
>The real question is how fast can you finalize a transaction so that it
>is fixed. Blockchain is a silly way to do that because there is a ten
>minute gap between blocks being added and the chain does not become
>dependable until several blocks are added.
That's Bitcoin. You can certainly wave your hands and imagine a
scheme where blocks are added faster if they are full of transactions or
something like that.
I see a fair amount of press for something called Zilliqa which
purports to create a high speed blockchain by sharding the chain
somehow. On the one hand, they've published a fair amount about it,
very little of which I have read. On the other hand, it's bristling
with snake oil red flags like an ICO where they say everyone has
gotten rich, and a warning banner across their web site saying to
beware of scams and imitations.
Anyone know them? I don't recognize any of the team on their web site
but they appear to be mostly in Singapore.
>The under appreciated part of BitCoin is the smart contracts. They don't do
>much in Bitcoin world because it isn't really connected to anything real.
>But if you were doing a system in which party A exchanges money/stock with
>B and each then want to trade with C and D, you could use conditional
>contracts, this one is good if node X has fixed point Y.
Considering that any program large enough to be interesting is large enough
to have bugs, I can hardly wait.
The cryptography mailing list
cryptography AT metzdowd.com