[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Cryptography] Bitcoins and lobbyists
- From: Bill Stewart <billstewart AT pobox.com>
- Subject: Re: [Cryptography] Bitcoins and lobbyists
- Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:12:41 -0800
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) firstname.lastname@example.org header.s=sasl header.b=BhGg/d9q; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com designates 184.108.40.206 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com; dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=pobox.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:list-subscribe :list-help:list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe:list-id :precedence:subject:content-language:in-reply-to:mime-version :user-agent:date:message-id:from:references:to:domainkey-signature :dkim-signature:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=HWk0+Knrte9M/in/MPqhQqfWLkLOt4Bl+NKWA2hC3Ok=; b=NkoLjcAzAaWy3j2jC0BhMeg8c3sA3o3oxVk5QncT7OIVNhsiTbVkklJBkgS2u6ECJP AvLdfM7WocD0e74xzaDv5t98ezftwdTiNcYeYjs2nST07UgJVqqdISvvgzCKmmo5milh 2ylVbLUC0WCv/2g5sYEm8fYEWaS4m3jyyXmkjh4sii58ZGGyhua8e+eUd0SvvF6lvSKv 52G75wDctgxIiMZZv8T4aMZzl81BJmSaM3qgQbs+LiRMXImRfcdrpM5leF1nwV7N4U0s stWF8uTaL0pugyAgFC6AKTr3dKk+BeK2vVPYk1xw6qO8w8McNa0M8hRoR8+ztQJkmjzP A4TA==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1519884520; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=lsku9FBE9Zft1cmAH08ilHRFVy3MuzPkV8XkMwHi3CQwp34iSIE5kiINSfzlp+gTgP 20ebZbheugK/6MGlRHoUhvVh6BANfN2JdbotLO2E0DC6cZ7iS3/T3qmxUCRxIQRvVRwI EjW78mgOVLzSiCreqto6m5895w3LUtYNQ91waVxTH4AvmNU0fUz4fjEVf9S279ZNCIrr AhnB17SjnNLoVSCvipcpcRWpl0izJlkusN6EnwU29nDMjEe26EWETrfXfzXMJx2PmULV /NMpJfMqbcQ2HJtnXiIrBaKHZLuC5EmYXTHUEIFd5dlA99GoI4vBxtQjKm7ckYYS/raa jXEA==
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=pobox.com; h=reply-to :subject:to:references:from:message-id:date:mime-version :in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; q=dns; s= sasl; b=oYG9wrxkk4piiDoYmJxm3FvxiEfFyIYZZ/OT7UnUt3piZrpq2MNVopBp wFTdsPhSw2CttYUNsnMIS57b+VEXemKBA+pPECFsH2UZTIaUBLYmSA4FpaBYmMVq IXWekDIOiS3RPo0S6LL2DnG7RI7Z9NMl/gvzn8hqBo+erGQcUqs=
- List-archive: <http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/>
- Reply-to: billstewart AT pobox.com
- Sender: "cryptography" <cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com>
- To: cryptography AT metzdowd.com
On 2/27/2018 5:17 PM, John Levine wrote:
> What am I missing here?
Yup. There was also the payment from 2142137492137974290120978741423427
to 19080985243542309890809fgrwaefv098 which you can "easily" identify as
a payment for 1000BTC of "Services Rendered, not for use in elections"
from "Totally Based In Delaware, Inc" to "Giant Bags Of Cash, LLC"
and the 350 million payments of $99 from random personal accounts
to the "2021 Inaugural Ball Committee".
Corporations were already a convenient way to make money hard to trace,
even before Citizens United, and tumblers make cryptocoins hard if not
always impossible to trace, as long as you don't mind the risk that your
coin exchange is suddenly "robbed by h4XX0rz" (unless that's also a
useful way to launder your coins, because the Inaugural Ball Committee
didn't know that random $99 ticket was bought with coins that had
been stolen and tumbled before "Joe MAGA32767" bought it for cash.)
If you want a fully traceable ledger that you're going to require
all political contributions to go through, that's a job for a fully
traceable centralized ledger.
In article <E1eqn7P-0002yL-VO AT elasmtp-curtail.atl.sa.earthlink.net> you write:
It occurred to me that she was performing -- by hand -- many of the same steps that a Bitcoin miner has to perform, by
tracing the sources and sinks of the various money flows through individuals, corporations, LLC's, law firms, etc. ...
Task #1 -- together with Bitcoin address identification -- makes transaction tracing trivial.
It certainly makes it trivial to track payments to wallets, give or
take laundering your bitcoins through tumblers. So I've made a
breakthrough, and here are the identities of Roy Moore's top five
The cryptography mailing list
cryptography AT metzdowd.com