[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Cryptography] TEXTCOMBINE-REV, A software for combining text files to obtain high-quality pseudo-randomness in practice (replacing an earlier retracted software)
- From: mok-kong shen <mok-kong.shen AT t-online.de>
- Subject: Re: [Cryptography] TEXTCOMBINE-REV, A software for combining text files to obtain high-quality pseudo-randomness in practice (replacing an earlier retracted software)
- Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 14:35:38 +0200
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com designates 2001:470:30:84:e276:63ff:fe62:3500 as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:list-subscribe:list-help :list-post:list-archive:list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:subject :in-reply-to:mime-version:user-agent:date:message-id:from:references :to:delivered-to:arc-authentication-results; bh=gL/xkKm2Y7F5homQbD4GPSANugm8lBN0AlHIAvtLc34=; b=oypcN/TL8KjDGStYbehU8weO++22lp5kr0xki9lDG+Z6nHDIvlREMgXDJT0N4WdSU0 iyJVgVjvKiUu9Y1CoYCX3hTn+MYpYz70kF/e75DyDxOYY5e0vfst/rpFkFAxF52CPxrN xpTbxf2/3y1f2c619Eo0bRc1pQwGqUVe9trR07rscafC50T1VTvCMSUQJveeljW5M8wr k5qG63yXSkOjf+AeIkFC02BlDt/DdBc6Lb0bWmgxAv9U4igqDWR4Pw1iSyWgA24kpYgR Gd1RMAvCFNjCCUQoh7zGkOZ2W2DSMO6U52qOwSTTz9OAfY4OJH0MTIetGCoWjvYEZ3OY IE+A==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1504473207; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=U6SwFfEVtAwZrEByKWbCmcxwg5UFuO8jxZ/8R/+QFryoLKSStaTQOXOdEYufYU1rg4 +D9fCVhhr4/DedRofeBVNqDqsbw7veyRNa/X56JbWzYfPlbZX1zCInRrxYx5MDeJicvf nED+Wu02pnaYDav6+g7ftD6XGKNrVV+NbEZf4KInSp1mNPlOY6hP7iOKlcKZWzXuIoee 1D/Emypbh/Bl+hgYN/8tsV+V6TdAFOlPMU7QCcPjw8YMXms6HNacuuV/z+EbYojbG7Ku aTYfK2XE9QSoACu35bZemTxa0T6fVpL+JASty1snM+VqSzXt9iitI4ynKc02wuJGYwTa TPXw==
- List-archive: <http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/>
- Sender: "cryptography" <cryptography-bounces+ben=bentasker.co.uk AT metzdowd.com>
- To: cryptography AT metzdowd.com
Am 02.09.2017 um 15:17 schrieb Michael Kjörling:
I was writing something about my personal viewpoints of security needed
If you consider that bad/unjustified, forget what was written there in
the present context.
On 1 Sep 2017 22:05 +0200, from mok-kong.shen AT t-online.de (mok-kong shen):
In security, actually in all issues of discussions (not to say
politics etc.), one could take different standpoints. But one should
also consider IMHO the "reality" in the different scenarios. Here in
security I suppose one should take into accout the nature of the
particular applications, the quantity/quality/value of informations
and the users concerned,
On the other hand, why should we knowingly give users _less_ than the
best we can reasonably achieve within the relevant engineering
It's hardly a valid argument to say that "this class of users don't
expect any significant security, so let's use MD5/DES/RC4/whatever
instead of an algorithm believed to be secure". A valid argument can
_possibly_ be made that the restrictions imposed e.g. by the hardware
_requires_ the use of less computationally intensive algorithms
(which, in turn, does not necessarily imply that those algorithms are
less secure; only that they have different properties), but your
proposal, to me, does not appear to fall into such a category.
Maybe you've posted that before, and I've missed it, but: What use
case does your idea target which is not covered by some other,
existing, well-studied algorithm for deriving unpredictable data?
On the other hand, note that my software is "indeed" offering the best
to the users.
The result from the ENT test of the example run is excellent, isn't it?
certainly may achieve that as well, but that isn't the point here.)
To your last paragraprah, I have written in Prologue of the software
that the it is a
[viable] alternative. I am claiming no more, nor less.
M. K. Shen
The cryptography mailing list
cryptography AT metzdowd.com