Re: [oss-security] CVE-2021-3428 Linux kernel: integer overflow in ext4_es_cache_extent

On 17/03/2021 11.11, Greg KH wrote:
Are you sure that SUSE didn't already assign one to this?

And if not, why not

I chose not to assign a CVE after consulting with security AT kernel.org and proceeded to handle the issue as a regular bug. Local denial of service bugs that require specially crafted file systems and the elevated privileges required to mount them, are generally not considered security issues worthy of CVEs by the kernel community. It's a borderline case but I have no issues with this new CVE assignment.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Frisch <wolfgang.frisch AT suse.com>
Security Engineer