[jfw] Joomla "Framework" today and what we called Joomla Framework in the past

Main Question of this post : Does the new Joomla Framework give a good way to interact with a Joomla CMS Installation from an external script ?

In the old times, we used the term "Joomla Framework" to speak about the "Joomla CMS Core"
For example, if someone wanted to load the Joomla CMS "framework" (core) from an external script, it was usual to do:

https://www.minitek.gr/blog/how-to-load-the-joomla-framework-inside-an-external-file
https://diadem.in/blog/two-ways-to-add-joomla-users-using-your-custom-code/

define( '_JEXEC', 1 );
define('JPATH_BASE', dirname(__FILE__) );//this is when we are in the root
define( 'DS', DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR );

require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'defines.php' );
require_once ( JPATH_BASE .DS.'includes'.DS.'framework.php' );

$mainframe =& JFactory::getApplication('site');
$mainframe->initialise();

(in both of those tutorials, they say Joomla "Framework")

First questions:

Right now, I'm writing a custom script to merge the users table of two Joomla installations (it has to be very specific, to deal with duplicates and fill an other table, etc).
For the creation of users, I thought about using the above method.

Is that approach still ok with Joomla 3, or should I use the new "Joomla Framework"?
Does the new Joomla Framework give a good way to interact with a Joomla Installation from an external script ?

Secondary question:
Knowing that by the past many people used to google "Joomla Framework" to find how to load the Joomla CMS core, maybe few lines explaining the difference between what is called "Joomla Framework" today and what was called "Joomla Framework" in the past could be usefull in https://framework.joomla.org/ ?