Re: [jfw] Re: Session Package - Keep or Drop

I never said anything against the interface ;-)

Personally, I'm not a fan of separate packages for interfaces and the "primary" package they interface, some conditions of course do apply (i.e. FIG related interfaces).  If we were to establish our own SessionInterface I'd rather see it shipped with the Session package.  That's just nit-picking details and personal preference though in the long run.  Especially since we already have 3 dozen repositories for the Framework, adding more just makes me cringe.

As for the timelines, I could be over-dramatizing or being realistic.  But right now I'm seeing a lot of "safe" moves with code development and B/C.  Even renaming String to StringHelper is being punted from a patch release to a minor release due to the very minimal potential of a B/C break in some third party's code.  I'm not even going to push for v2 packages in the CMS until someone has a plan for 4.0 figured out, which the way things are going might not be anytime soon.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 2:25 AM, Andrew Eddie <mamboblue AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 4 May 2015 at 10:22, Michael Babker <michael.babker AT gmail.com> wrote:
> We're talking a version of Framework code that if we're lucky the CMS will
> be using in 2-3 years; the odds of CMS 3.x consuming Framework 2.x code are
> pretty nil.  So I honestly don't think a legacy layer style approach matters
> too much for a code base where realistically I might be the biggest
> consumer.

The principle of using interfaces in the Framework is still valid. If
and when the CMS can actually use it is another thing, but I was just
trying to paint a picture of why working to interfaces would be
beneficial to both the Framework and the CMS where both can win and
even allow some CMS consumers to do opt-in upgrades.

That said, 2-3 years is too long for Joomla's own Framework team to
see code used in its own CMS.