Re: [jfw] Re: Versioning namespaces

I can't say it's any good, but https://github.com/mbabker/joomla-next is my idea bouncing playground for architecture related stuff.  Including maybe the first real attempt to define proper interfaces for the CMS APIs.  When I dropped this on the CMS list there was a fair amount of support behind the concept of rebuilding and breaking B/C in a logical manner.  The feeling I got from that thread is if it makes sense, we'll get support behind it, but a user migration path MUST be provided by the "core team", we can't put all of our money in jUpgrade or SPUgrade covering tasks that should be done by core.  So it isn't blind permission to say "screw B/C", but I get the feeling B/C doesn't necessarily need to be the absolute first priority looking toward a major overhaul of the app.  And in complete honesty, I think we're shooting ourselves in the collective feet if we try to balance B/C and rearchitecting the legacy structure of the CMS; one of the two will have to give in some form.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Andrew Eddie <mamboblue AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 20 May 2015 at 01:08, Don Gilbert <> wrote:
> Another way for the CMS to start using the Framework is for the CMS to
> define the interfaces it requires, then have the existing code transformed
> to meet those interfaces. This will allow the CMS start using the Framework
> to rebuild its underlying structure while remaining compatible with existing
> code.

I agree. The very act of adding the FW to the CMS is effectively
"versioning" the namespace, albeit we only get one shot in the
conventional matter. I do agree that moving to a published system of
public interfaces is crucial moving forward. It is best practice and
we need to drag the CMS kicking and screaming yet with as much
backward compatible support as possible.

So ok, if we can tolerate at least a bit of code bloat where we keep a
lot of the legacy code beside the new FW code, but we have a
systematic plan to reform and replace the need for that code, I'm in!