Re: [jfw] Re: Versioning namespaces

On 20 May 2015 at 00:17, Michael Babker <michael.babker AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have examples of libraries which change their namespaces in some form
> on each major release?

Java perhaps? I'm really just taking the principles of good API design
that we use for web services and imagining how we could apply them to
solve the same problems in code.

> I personally don't think versioned namespaces is the right way to go.

Initially, it doesn't matter because there is stuff all FW code in the
CMS now we can probably cope for a number of years. But at some point
we will want breaking change introduced into the CMS (assuming, once
again, that the FW leads the CMS, not the other way around), but I'm
happy to defer that conversation and decision for as long as possible.

> I'll concede the one thing that
> versioned namespaces enables is easier development of a CMS extension for
> two major version branches, but is that really worth making this change?

In principle, yes. Don't you remember the stupid tirade over dropping
the DS constant!