Re: [jfw] Re: Packages - Keep or Dump?

> As long as there is a very solid core migration available it won't end in a
> desaster like from 1.5 to 2.5. So, before there is no agreement on a first
> class stable migration path we shouldn't discuss further. If a migration
> path + step by step guides for extension devs are considered as part of the
> next release the option with the legacy layer is maybe the safest one for
> the community and sceptics. I would prefer the easier an cleaner way but I
> think after 1.5 to 2.5 there is no majorty for a ground approach without a
> legacy layer.

I agree, this needs to be in place. The question is how to do it.

Lead code reform in the CMS by "grafting" in new code into the 3.x
series so that developers can opt-in, and then we drop all the old
code in Joomla 4?

Or, design improvements for Joomla 4 the right way, probably with
significant changes, and adding a legacy layer for 3.x extensions to
run?

I think the first option is a better experience, but it's a lot more
work in the short term.

The latter is better for developers that really want to make
best-practice changes, but you have to stay on top of the legacy layer
and not leave it to the last minute (and it goes without saying the a
massive automated testing effort needs to be part of any such goal).

Who decides? Can the Framework Team Members just make that decision?