Re: [jfw] Re: Packages - Keep or Dump?

> I agree, this needs to be in place. The question is how to do it.
>
> Lead code reform in the CMS by "grafting" in new code into the 3.x
> series so that developers can opt-in, and then we drop all the old
> code in Joomla 4?
>
> Or, design improvements for Joomla 4 the right way, probably with
> significant changes, and adding a legacy layer for 3.x extensions to
> run?
>
> I think the first option is a better experience, but it's a lot more
> work in the short term.
I think the first option is not the right way to go. Not worth as  the j4 API has to be finished before backporting such a forward layer. This ends still in a scary gap for ext dev as there is no legacy layer in j4 then?

> The latter is better for developers that really want to make
> best-practice changes, but you have to stay on top of the legacy layer
> and not leave it to the last minute (and it goes without saying the a
> massive automated testing effort needs to be part of any such goal).
Imo thats the safer way. As you could deprecate later in 4.x od w 5?

> Who decides? Can the Framework Team Members just make that decision?
Maybe
Call me naive but maybe the dev separation is a problem. FW + CMS + EXT = joomla devs should agree together if this approach is the right way forward and then pull other stakeholders in.