Re: [jfw] Re: Packages - Keep or Dump?

One of the really frustrating things is nobody can tell me what the
> next version is supposed to be. Is it supposed to be highly compatible
with 3.x? Can we break heaps of things but include a legacy layer?
Without knowing exactly what we are aiming for, it's really hard to
know what to keep and what to drop with any certainty. What's worse is
nobody can tell me how anyone is supposed to decide.

As long as there is a very solid core migration available it won't end in a desaster like from 1.5 to 2.5. So, before there is no agreement on a first class stable migration path we shouldn't discuss further. If a migration path + step by step guides for extension devs are considered as part of the next release the option with the legacy layer is maybe the safest one for the community and sceptics. I would prefer the easier an cleaner way but I think after 1.5 to 2.5 there is no majorty for a ground approach without a legacy layer.