Re: [jfw] Re: Packages - Keep or Dump?

On Monday, 25 May 2015 08:04:09 UTC+10, Michael Babker wrote:
If the API wrappers are going to get another release they should be caught up with their APIs.  A major problem with them is they've gone mostly unmaintained and are now behind their APIs in terms of feature support.  Given all of those packages have less than 100 downloads in the last 2 years, I don't see the effort to catch them up being a viable time investment.

Ok. I'd still vote to relicense them even if that's under the 1.x version. We owe it to the people that fought hard to make that happen.

As for the other packages, it isn't so much about disuse or disinterest.  The Data package never really caught on (as far as I'm aware at least),

No, I'd also suggest a different direction now anyway, if not use something off the shelf.

LDAP has always been an awkward thing (and we have no idea if the code actually works right now, there's zero tests around it), and the Archive package feels half-complete (it can only extract stuff, not usable for building archive packages).  Those last 4 packages have their uses, I'm just trying to think of ways to stop stretching ourselves thin and cut back on some stuff that was once a good idea but that time has passed.

That's fair. But as I said, I think the relicensing should still happen even if only to put some those packages to bed once and for all.