Re: [jfw] Re: Discussion - Framework v2 Roadmap

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Nils Rückmann <mail AT nueckman.de> wrote:
Am i the only person who's asking why there is a discussion about the roadmap AFTER the official announcement ?

The intent was to gather additional ideas from interested folks.  What we published was only based on a few individuals collaborating on ideas, I wanted to ensure we gave the opportunity to seek out additional ideas before committing to anything firm as there is the possibility someone has an idea where we all just think "why didn't I think of that before!?".

### Documentation

Documentation is essential for every piece of code, even if you have a big brand like "Joomla". And if Joomla-FW separates the documentation and code, it will be the same mess like Joomla-CMSs documentation. Having documentation and code in the same repository doesnt't mean that there can't be another repository for global documentations like tutorials or guidelines.

I think as long as it's all at least logically grouped and machine parsable (I want to actually use the Framework site for something more than a marketing landing page as this thing grows, using our GitHub package to sync it to the site should be possible), I can live with whatever the choice may be.  For me the important things are getting things documented and having a structure to expand the documentation without self-imposed limitations.

### Minimum Supported PHP Version

Definitly 5.4 or even 5.5

Personally, I think if you're still stuck in PHP 5.3 or 5.4 land, you're safe using Framework 1 (in part because the CMS is starting to consume it so it'll most likely be supported so long as CMS 3 has support).  Framework 2 can make the jump to 5.5 without an issue.

### Database / Filesystem

There are plenty other packages which are doing a great job (e.g. doctrine or flysystem), but a stable framework should use his own api to be flexible. So why not creating a persistence api like Typo3 Flow ?

As far as the filesystem code goes, there are a lot of "CMS-isms" present to deal with sub-par hosting environments.  Otherwise, the only coupling to it in our existing packages is in the Form package for the file/folder list fields.  I'm not at the point where I'd say we HAVE to retain those packages (actually, I'm leaning closer to Filesystem could be deprecated or be used as a wrapper around Flysystem (in the case of the CMS) than saying it has to be updated), but I would say any feasible idea is welcome.