Re: [jfw] Re: Discussion - Framework v2 Roadmap

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Dimitris <d.grammatiko AT gmail.com> wrote:
1. Ability to have development and live environments

I don't know if this is necessarily a framework's responsibility.  In practice, I'm able to deploy the same code to staging servers and production by hooking each of my environments up to my git repository and managing them through git and Composer.  There are some ways the Framework may be able to differentiate between those environments, and there are ways we can build tools to make this easier (one of the biggest challenges is if you're managing database schemas), but ultimately a full fledged toolset in the Framework for managing deployments might be a bit too much.

2. Ability to fulfill the db with fake data

Again, this is something the database package is really weak in.  Using Symfony and Doctrine together, you can build out a simple command to load up sample data using fixture classes.  In truth I'm not 100% certain if this is a feature supported in their "core" platforms or if it's accomplished by addon tools developed through their communities, but I know it's easy to accomplish in that environment.

3. CLI app for creating app scaffoldings

A post 2.0 goal for me is to start building something similar to Symfony's Standard Edition; an application you can clone out of GitHub, answer some questions, and you have the base scaffolding for an application generated for you following our best practices.  Considering the only two live demos I can point to for Framework apps are the Issue Tracker and Framework site itself, it's a little tricky to say "here's how you get started" at the moment and it's an issue we need to address.