Re: [jfw] Re: 2.0 - Dropping PHP 5.3 Support

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014 8:28:19 PM UTC+1, Michael Babker wrote:
Looking around the marketplace some (both CMS and Framework), there's already folks not supporting 5.3.

True :)

Us supporting 5.3 allows us to hit that piece of the market others are missing because of it, but how long would we then continue to support it past its EOL?

I mean this is the biggest issue as I see it. If we had a large user base then sure. But we don't, we need all the market share we can get, and then a bit more. Also the how long past it's EOL is the big counter issue...... *shrug*

Another thing to consider too is that Framework 1.x will most likely in some form live on as long as CMS 3.x with us looking at trying to backport some of the Framework code into that application.  Folks really needing PHP 5.3 support will be able to find it,

But realistically we'll probably be at Framework v3.0 before that happens.

but I think newer development and refactoring shouldn't have to consider that environment.

I mean having traits could allow us to rewrite MVC again. I would be interested in seeing if we could do multi-task controllers with single-task traits etc. and I'm sure there are other things of interest as well we could do.

  Of course, if I'm in the minority, I'll happily shut up and go about my merry way; I'm just trying to get a feel for opinions right now and not just make a decision and force people to live with it ;-)

What I would say is that there's nothing literally right now that requires 5.4 to make things infinitely better and if we can simplify code we can do that after release/just before release when we have the main re factoring efforts complete for the packages that need it.

But also ditto with me :) I'm not hugely fussed either way. Just putting it out there. I'm also more than happy to re-evaluate when framework 2.0 actually hits the shelves.

Kind Regards,
George