Re: [jfw] Re: 2.0 - Dropping PHP 5.3 Support

I knew that was coming ;-)

So I am thinking a few things here.  One of them is think beyond the CMS; ya right now it's biggest contributor crowd might be those already using that, but if we want to allow the Framework to grow beyond the Joomla circles, the Framework needs to not be held completely back by supporting the CMS (there may be a time and place for that argument, I just don't personally see this as an issue).  Next, dropping 5.3 support wouldn't mean we refactor all the things to break 5.3 support, but newer contributions wouldn't need to support it.  Last larger item on my mind right now is long term planning; if we were pushing all the packages to 2.0 this week then this discussion would probably be a moot point but realistically we're looking at some time (at least a few months if we take a look at some of the threads on this list and throw around newer ideas) before they're released so do we really want to release a new (what should be long-term supported) series that's supporting EOL software?  With Ubuntu's LTS release this year, a lot more folks are upgrading from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 (IIRC that's what 14.04 is shipping) now so the 5.3 use numbers should start going down.