[jfw] How to contribute joomla

Hello,

I am an undergraduate in Computer Science and I like to implement this idea.
Predefined email Component for Joomla
For the moment I am learning how to create a component in joomla and I think I am good at that now.
Now I need to get into the real work and I need some guidelines regarding where to begin and how to make my contribution useful to joomla.
For example, sometimes I feel if I do my work using joomla 2.5 version it would be a waste and will not be able to include in a joomla version which is to be released.
So please give me a simple guide on this issue.

Thanks
Malaka