Re: [jfw] Is the framework really used ?

@ Don Gilbert

Everything in that article has been (unknowingly) fixed by the Joomla! Framework. I read through it thinking "I thought all these same things about Joomla, but instead of leaving / blogging / complaining about it, I did something." and that something became the Joomla! Framework.

I'm proud to say I was a part of that. :)

Thanks to everybody who's been working on the Framework!!!

Many of us would like to assist.

---

Right now, I don't feel that I'm nearly a 'good enough' coder to jump in and help, but I learn a lot from following your work and hope to in the future.

That is in, itself, a huge benefit in working with the Framework from that perspective alone.

But I'd also like to do my part to assist, and in that respect, do what we can to attract top-notch PHP coders is really essential.

IMHO, a critical step to doing that is ensuring that we are building awareness among the PHP community.

For example, we have a very active PHP User Group here in Toronto - but the organizers, when I first spoke to them, never heard of the Joomla! Framework (if PHP coders don't know about it - how can they contribute?).

Once we turned their attention to framework.joomla.org - they became very interested to find out more - so that's very positive - a step towards increased participation and adoption from the kind of folks who would not only benefit, but also be able to make key contributions.

So we decided to do a joint presentation with our local Joomla! User Group, and the GTA PHP User Group, to introduce the Joomla! Framework - that's scheduled for June 10th.

Michael Babker will presenting via Skype - so we're thrilled to have somebody from the Joomla! Framework project team presenting directly to PHP enthusiasts.

It also gives our local user groups a chance to interconnect - and we've already shared some of user group practices on (how we plan our workshops, conferences, etc.)  - so this is a win-win all around - we've managed to extend our local sphere to 'PHP and JUGT User groups collaborating and helping each other.'

Don - just as you say you are proud to be a part of that - this too (getting our local user groups to collaborate) - is certainly a great feeling.

I've put the Framework workshop description below - if there are any other Joomla! User Groups who want to do a joint presentation with their local PHP User Groups (Tip: user groups are always looking for good topics to present on, and being on top of an emerging framework is certainly of interest to the PHP community), please feel free contact me (or somebody from the Framework team), and I'd be happy to share our materials and provide any advice I can on how to approach local PHP Groups to get a joint workshop going to introduce the Joomla! Framework to them.

----

Getting Started with the Joomla! PHP Framework

Executive Summary

This is the first collaborative presentation with GTA PHP Toronto User Group and the Joomla! User Group of Toronto.   Michael Babker, a member of the Joomla! Project Leadership Team, will be presenting the Joomla! Framework via Skype.

The goal of the presentation is to introduce the Joomla! Framework Project to encourage adoption and participation amongst PHP Developers and Joomla! Developers.

Future considerations: the presentation materials, resources and format may be made available to PHP and Joomla! User Groups around the world in order to build awareness and encourage world-wide adoption and participation.

TOP

Presentation Description

Getting started with the Joomla! Framework
with Michael Babker, Joomla! Production Leadership Team

A joint GTA PHP User Group and Joomla! User Group Toronto presentation.

Join us for an informative evening with Michael Babker from the Joomla! Project Leadership Team!

Learn how to get started developing apps with the new Joomla! Framework, how you can contribute to the Joomla! Framework Project and have your questions answered by one of the Joomla! Framework’s lead developers.

A new PHP framework from the developers of the award winning Joomla! CMS

The Joomla! Framework is a new free and open-source PHP framework (a collection of software libraries/packages) for writing web and command line applications in PHP.

The Joomla! Framework has been separated from the Joomla! CMS and provides a stable, lightweight PHP Framework for developing cutting-edge PHP applications.

FrameworkDiagram-712x350.png

What does the Joomla! Framework mean for you?

Whether you are a PHP Coder looking for a stable lightweight framework for your next app or a Joomla! Extension Developer looking to spread your wings & delve into developing standalone applications the Joomla! Framework provides benefits for everyone.

In addition, Joomla! Framework users and contributors benefit from the awesome level of support and collaboration which has become the hallmark of the worldwide Joomla! community!

For PHP Coders

If you are a strong coder looking for a lightweight framework that is easy to adapt and extend, the Joomla! Framework is for you.

The Joomla! Framework is available using Composer. This allows you to build projects from the many packages included in the Joomla! Framework as well as packages that best fit your needs
from any of the other PHP frameworks that use Composer.

For Joomla! Extension Developers

If you are a Joomla! Extension Developer you can now apply your knowledge and experience when using the Joomla! Framework to build apps as it maintains a similar set of function, class, and method names.

This is advantageous for you in many situations, for example, when you land a project with requirements that don't really fit into the ‘website or CMS box,’ or the CMS is simply too much overhead.

There may also be times when you need a simple tool to migrate data from one Business Intelligence system to another or a lightweight RESTful service to talk to a mobile application.

These are just some examples of cases when the Joomla! Framework will prove beneficial to you.

Where to Get More Information

Visit the the official Joomla! Framework website at Framework.Joomla.org

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Eddie <mamboblue AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 9 April 2014 23:30, Cyril Thibout <> wrote:
> is the article
> http://odino.org/why-joomla-sucks-why-the-joomla-platform-sucks-even-harder-and-how-we-can-fix-this/
> still valid ??

No, but it did take us more than 2 years to get to where he wanted to
go. The thing he didn't take into account is that we had and still
have an existing extension industry that doesn't like using the newest
toys as soon as they become available. But remember, Composer was
still in it's infancy at the time. In hindsight, he's right - we
should have just bitten the bullet in 2011, namespaced and not
maintained backward compatibility with the CMS. If we'd done that I
suspect 3.0 would be running on fully namespaced code. Such is the
benefit of hindsight, but we could never have known that in 2011 :)