[jfw] Re: LGPL process debrief

Thanks for asking.

I didn't want to loose time and health in participating in this debate, so my point of view here is from an airplane view on what could have been done better by some of the "discussion leaders":

Two words:  Openness and Accountability.

1. Openness: Responsible clear disclosure of personal and professional interests involved (e.g. joomla work for employer or large client that has interest in LGPL. We all have motivations to spend free time or time on contracts/job. They might be livinghood, learning, and so on).

2. Accountability: Result seems at first glance to not reflect discussions and polls, so it looks a bit strange as the link from discussions to the result is obscure and surprising to say the least. And final decisions made (at first glance) by a small set of people in discussions hidden from public view.

3. Openness: It is quite surprising and funny (?) that the biggest defenders of GPL at the last huge GPL debate seem to have forgotten that, and have been the biggest opponents to GPL this LGPL time. No problem in changing positions (I changed mine too the other way around, in favor of full GPL with strong convictions). But going against the GPL publicly without disclosing publicly the real motivations of some was deceiving.

4. Accountability: This debate took way too much ressources off more vital development work for the success of the Joomla CMS and from the Joomla Framework. Was it required more than other features by the vast majority of users ? I doubt.

5. Openness: Was LGPL required by major companies to contribute more to Joomla to justify the deception linked to the abandonment of the GPL ? I haven't seen any big hands and contribution wallets raised. Maybe I missed some ?

That said, I don't think the choice either way will be changing significantly the course of things, nor the way that the debate got "lead", and that there are more important tasks that change the life of real users to be done.

Cheers,
Beat