Re: [jfw] Re: Discussion - Package Updates for Framework 2.0

Doctrine DBAL (Database Abstraction Layer) has extended PDO, a.o. to quote identifiers:
http://www.doctrine-project.org/api/dbal/2.3/class-Doctrine.DBAL.Connection.html#_quoteIdentifier

In Doctrine ORM the identifiers there are objects and fields, they are automatically replaced by (quoted) identifiers for tables and columns by the underlaying DBAL.

On Wednesday, 23 April 2014 09:27:45 UTC+2, Andrew Eddie wrote:
On 23 April 2014 17:14, Herman Peeren <> wrote:
> Normally I work with PDO under Doctrine (DBAL and ORM). No need to extend
> anything from that, for it works out of the box, plug and play. I wonder
> what you want to add to that?

Not much. The only thing I think that is missing is the ability to
quote identifiers. The point is that in Joomla we don't inject a PDO,
we inject a Joomla DatabaseDriver. Lots of other PHP developers use
PDO; few outside Joomla circles use DatabaseDriver. So if we swapped
the CMS and Framework apps to using PDO as the native DBAL, I think
that would be better (and deprecate DatabaseDriver).

Does that make sense now?