Re: [jfw] Discussion - Package Updates for Framework 2.0

My experience is that asking for consensus first doesn't work as well
as showing someone a final "draft" to critique. I think we should do
it ourselves with the view that we want to find the best way to do
something first, and then try and make it fit into the CMS way of
thinking. The latter is ultimately what led to the failure of the
Platform.

I agree but I also think that if we'd listened more we wouldn't have had the JModel/Controller/View naming issues etc etc. Maybe you're right that in the CMS often showing code helps or forces someone else to design an alternative.

In terms of design. Elin before she left did some awesome stuff refactoring com_plugins, com_cache, com_checkin and com_tags to the new MVC (it never got completed in parts but was well on it's way!) So I think we should at least be looking at that plus the implementation of com_config - because these are the two major implementations of the new MVC in the CMS that I'm aware of and I'm sure many others are as well that are looking into using the new MVC.

> I think the important things are HMVC.

If you are talking about chaining controllers, that could be something
to look at. I'd start really simple though and build up. I'd take
Hello World and see if we can find the easiest way to output HTML and
some sort of file.

I'm talking about calling one view from another component. Or maybe better you can call a component view from a module without any extra view or database code!

Yes. Models should return only structured data and we need to give the
developers patterns that are really easy to use for views (be that
HTML, JSON, XML, CSV, et al).

 Agreed although Michael is right a lot comes down to the application it is also (in my opinion) about making sure the structure is there to encourage people to build their applications in that way

Kind Regards,
George