Re: [jfw] Discussion - Package Updates for Framework 2.0

On 12 April 2014 20:47, George Wilson <> wrote:
> I agree although I think we should be getting input from the CMS before we implement this. I think one of the least contested things in the CMS is the new MVC (although I think you'll have more opinions than developers)

My experience is that asking for consensus first doesn't work as well
as showing someone a final "draft" to critique. I think we should do
it ourselves with the view that we want to find the best way to do
something first, and then try and make it fit into the CMS way of
thinking. The latter is ultimately what led to the failure of the
Platform.

> I think the important things are HMVC.

If you are talking about chaining controllers, that could be something
to look at. I'd start really simple though and build up. I'd take
Hello World and see if we can find the easiest way to output HTML and
some sort of file.

> The other big thing is making sure models and controllers are completely happy from the off with non-HTML views - another place where FOF excels with built in CSV, json etc views built in. If you build you're controller & model right I know this *should* come naturally - but that's what this thread is about!

Yes. Models should return only structured data and we need to give the
developers patterns that are really easy to use for views (be that
HTML, JSON, XML, CSV, et al).