Initial ideas I had was:
1. Improve current JImage with ImageMagick, which may help to add more functionalities to JImage
2. Add library to handle videos(JVideo) in CMS (eg: JVideoYoutube, JVideoVimeo, etc.) so that they will interact with Youtube, Vimeo APIs respectively. Through that CMS can get, put, add links, find videos through MediaManger and directly integrate with content, upload, streaming and many more depending on what services that APIs provide.
My additional suggestion, (actually has taken the interest here) is:
3. Develop JMedia component in framework such that, it handles all kinds of media. eg: JMediaImage for image handling and JMediaVideo, JMediaAudio for handling videos and audios respectively. I think Jonathan is interested on this idea.
I think 2nd idea (JVideo) should go directly in to CMS since it has JImage, and if need to take the advantage of videos quickly (with this year GSoC).
Meanwhile framework can build JMedia (3rd idea , may be 1st idea can be merge with this), so that when the time comes, developers can think of moving it to CMS and deprecating JImage, and JVideo. If we are going to introduce JVideo to CMS in this GSoC, it'll need to omit introducing JMediaVideo here, since no need to do something twice.
So, I would like to know your opinion on this and willing to hear your suggestions ?
On Monday, March 3, 2014 8:52:38 AM UTC+5:30, Buddhima Wijeweera wrote:
Currently I'm involved with Joomla! developments and I felt that Joomla! needs to enhance capabilities of handling media (images, videos and audio). So I would like to propose 2 ideas, which could incorporate with GSoC 2014. I believe after these ideas completed, CMS can take them and enhance managing media (eg: in Media Manager). Specially I want to highlight that, by handling media types like video, audio Joomla! will get an extra benefit compared to others.
1. Extending JImage with ImageMagick - was an idea in 2012 GSoC list, and I feel would be useful to enhance media manager (combining several common functions into one for a more convenient operation, adding more image manipulating techniques).
2. New libarary to handle video content. Currently there's no library to interact with video providing services like YouTube, Vimeo. So I think, if we can have this, it would enhance the media manager in handling videos as well, which would help to outshine Joomla! compared to others.
Further thinking, it would be pretty nice, if a student can implement a JMedia library, which can handle video, audio and images.
So, I would like to know your opinion on these ideas.