Re: [jfw] Re: Installing packages with composer triggers importing whole joomla-framework repo

On Thursday, March 13, 2014 2:46:03 PM UTC-5, Michael Babker wrote:
If you move a file in a repo's file structure, the history that is shown on GitHub is only that of the file in the current location.  GitHub doesn't make it easy to see this sadly; if you know a file has moved, you basically need to find a commit from before that point to get the file in the old location and continue browsing history via their UI.

CMS repo, JPlugin class at the 3.2.0 release (after it moved locations) - https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/3.2.0/libraries/cms/plugin/plugin.php
Same class at 3.1.5 release - https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/blob/3.1.5/libraries/joomla/plugin/plugin.php

I don't think we're losing the history based on this, but it does become difficult to trace it at a certain point.

Thanks, Michael, I did not realize that. I just looked at a few files I have recently moved and you are right -- it doesn't retain the version history for the old locations.

Must be some other tools to get at contributor data outside of the history of individual files, or else, many projects would be having trouble maintaining contributor data.

Thanks for educating me.