[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FD] MagicSpam 2.0.13 - Insecure File Permission Vulnerability
- From: Vulnerability Lab <research AT vulnerability-lab.com>
- Subject: [FD] MagicSpam 2.0.13 - Insecure File Permission Vulnerability
- Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 23:59:37 +0100
- Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of fulldisclosure-bounces AT seclists.org designates 2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fe98:ff4e as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=fulldisclosure-bounces AT seclists.org
- Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; h=sender:errors-to:content-transfer-encoding:list-subscribe:list-help :list-post:list-unsubscribe:list-id:precedence:subject:mime-version :user-agent:date:message-id:from:to:delivered-to :arc-authentication-results; bh=V3AKLK2IjdJ7L1DK032uPEQ/axKaYdwFpUg6kYWtsV0=; b=Nf2cgYLY7PucH5T7FOjOkTDZ/7yocu/+4/8kLeq3i3zGtgDxi6omHjoi/tCof+81Mx e8l9O67XlnSuN42KkIWiUAtvQ21EzHEZ4vo8H7L/KMZ5c6QzEr530PQR+Ca4iy28PGFO S6aGjKE2ZV5DMk+g23JTXHsc8SvraORpUU3KGCY97tvxSRlZM9T7iOas38cEk/qr+KBW +bKFI9gQaKIq0Bm/nJct58Ik74FhL/7fCQHDEjdazt5sIoIxPcsjM8X4//hTpmqFGTCk P6Hcl5JX0PyCt7BHRXgMAUa19pRyqM5DeqsDbpg5Qf2fhQS3Xz2YyTgKLcnI/oMkJKXo cgMQ==
- Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1516057345; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20160816; b=ynGhHJeQuIumxSNp7VwP0uecDLRZl+madLsj987GIBmVs2jRH2s6WXhCza9FegRekD NJ4+dV+cLZ0rLbBQoHqqIVDRsKstbiAy3lvmt0YW8f26Su9EPIEF4JhigVazdDSIrvTk hiUY3m9QAuJVstIbTC5KCGZwncXZwuAcxRqohOeIXEvuWSH9LaXXk35io8ZPwercuFVE NDTBIftT090IPEaVMRTdx22Tv7znmj/NgtEnoqL4VDk1rlXR/bVtlhRz5WUpG3qf+JkK T78V9K02aXcBH7UHVFM6UDOclvMpyXmLki5JmOdjvOl77usA+LRe7PY5bL0AwyMkJdBB 84Dw==
- Sender: "Fulldisclosure" <fulldisclosure-bounces AT seclists.org>
- To: fulldisclosure AT seclists.org
MagicSpam 2.0.13 - Insecure File Permission Vulnerability
Vulnerability Laboratory ID (VL-ID):
Common Vulnerability Scoring System:
Privacy Violation - Information Disclosure
Current Estimated Price:
500€ - 1.000€
Product & Service Introduction:
MagicSpam comes fully-integrated with any Plesk 12+ package, blocking spam at the edge before it gets a chance to be filtered.
There’s no need to change DNS or MX records. And your protection comes ready to go with complete logging, statistics, and custom controls.
(Copy of the Homepage: https://www.plesk.com/extensions/magicspam/ )
Abstract Advisory Information:
An independent vulnerability laboratory researcher discovered a insecure file permission vulnerability in the MagicSpam 2.0.13-1 plesk extension.
Vulnerability Disclosure Timeline:
2017-01-12: Public Disclosure (Vulnerability Laboratory)
Product: MagicSpam - Plesk Extension 2.0.13-1
Technical Details & Description:
An insecure file permission access vulnerability has been discovered in the MagicSpam 2.0.13-1 plesk extension.
The vulnerability allows an attacker to access sensitive information like emails without permission or authentication.
Plesk panel features the freemium extension MagicSpam providing industry-leading spam protection technologies.
MagicSpam is keeping a detailed log of all e-mail messages processed under directory /var/log/magicspam/ in
Ubuntu installations. A log file is created with the name mslog, with readable permissions for everyone, and rotated daily.
The file will reveal the full list of mailboxes on the server (provided they received or sent at least one message in the past).
The security risk of the permission vulnerability is estimated as low with a common vulnerability scoring system count of 2.8.
Successful exploitation of the file permission security vulnerability results in information disclosure of emails.
Proof of Concept (PoC):
The insecure file permission vulnerability can be exploited by remote attackers without user account or user interaction.
For security demonstration or to reproduce the vulnerability follow the provided information and steps below to continue.
uid=1002(marco) gid=1011(marco) groups=1011(marco)
$ cd /var/log/magicspam/
$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 magicspam root 348937 Jan 10 11:50 mslog
$ tail -n1 mslog
2018-01-10 11:51:26 magicspam-daemon: HAM: mua=no,ip=[184.108.40.206:mail15.clab99a.contactlab.it],helo=<mail15.clab99a.contactlab.it>,from=<564020151.35960.1000117 AT t.contactlab.it>,rcpt=<info AT thenetworksolution.it>
Solution - Fix & Patch:
The security vulnerability can be resolved byan exclude of the emails in the list of the affected application log files.
Another solution could be to integration an authentication mechanism for the log file of the magic spam web-application.
The security risk of the insecure file permission vulnerability in the plesk extension magic spam is estimated as medium (CVSS 2.8).
Credits & Authors:
Marco Marsala [marco AT thenetworksolution.it] - https://www.vulnerability-lab.com/show.php?user=Marco+Marsala
Disclaimer & Information:
The information provided in this advisory is provided as it is without any warranty. Vulnerability Lab disclaims all warranties, either expressed or
implied, including the warranties of merchantability and capability for a particular purpose. Vulnerability-Lab or its suppliers are not liable in any
case of damage, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential loss of business profits or special damages, even if Vulnerability Labs or its
suppliers have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability mainly for incidental
or consequential damages so the foregoing limitation may not apply. We do not approve or encourage anybody to break any licenses, policies, deface
websites, hack into databases or trade with stolen data. We have no need for criminal activities or membership requests. We do not publish advisories
or vulnerabilities of religious-, militant- and racist- hacker/analyst/researcher groups or individuals. We do not publish trade researcher mails,
phone numbers, conversations or anything else to journalists, investigative authorities or private individuals.
Domains: www.vulnerability-lab.com - www.vulnerability-db.com - www.evolution-sec.com
Programs: vulnerability-lab.com/submit.php - vulnerability-lab.com/list-of-bug-bounty-programs.php - vulnerability-lab.com/register.php
Feeds: vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss.php - vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss_upcoming.php - vulnerability-lab.com/rss/rss_news.php
Social: twitter.com/vuln_lab - facebook.com/VulnerabilityLab - youtube.com/user/vulnerability0lab
Any modified copy or reproduction, including partially usages, of this file, resources or information requires authorization from Vulnerability Laboratory.
Permission to electronically redistribute this alert in its unmodified form is granted. All other rights, including the use of other media, are reserved by
Vulnerability Lab Research Team or its suppliers. All pictures, texts, advisories, source code, videos and other information on this website is trademark
of vulnerability-lab team & the specific authors or managers. To record, list, modify, use or edit our material contact (admin@) to get an ask permission.
Copyright © 2018 | Vulnerability Laboratory - [Evolution Security GmbH]™
VULNERABILITY LABORATORY - RESEARCH TEAM
Sent through the Full Disclosure mailing list
Web Archives & RSS: http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/